Takin' it on the road

|
In the fall of '99 I went on a foreign study program with the drama department at Furman to England, Ireland, and France. It was on this trip that I decided to seriously pursue acting as a career. Also on the trip was Sally, of course, but also a student named Tiffany. Flash forward nine years, and Tiffany and I are both living in LA about three miles from each other. We see each other pretty regularly and exchange career stories and ideas. She had the great idea for us to go back to Furman and do a workshop with the drama students to help fill in the gaps in their education; no matter how good an academic program is, it's still an academic program. One thing I really enjoyed about UCI was hearing visitors speak about their profession. 

Just yesterday we got the official word that we will be going to Furman for a weekend in October, fully funded. On Thursday night we will present a CLP (Cultural Life Program. Students are required to attend a certain number of these on-campus events per year) that my sissy better be at!  It will be for general audiences and address how a Furman education has helped (or not) our career choices.  On Friday we will make a presentation to one of the acting classes and maybe do a workshop in the afternoon. On Saturday we'll do an all day workshop for students who are really serious about acting. 

I'm so excited to go back to Furman and to bring something positive to the drama department. I was a history major, so I only had one foot in over at the drama department, but I know they have talented students who will benefit from a few lessons from the real world. And for all the CLPs I went to, I find it hilarious that I'll be one of those speakers! I wonder what building they'll put us in...

All ye siblings, roommates, and parents who might want to attend: the CLP will be Thursday the 8th around 7:30 pm. 

1 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ok, even though it hurts my eyes to read your blog now....I'm so so thriled the Furman gig worked out! HOORAY! This is one CLP I'm dying to attend! Though actually I believe your production of Joseph ATATDC was a CLP....Quilters, I can't say. Maybe Christina would even let us sit with her and be cool.