April 19, 2014
Dear Wyatt,
I have cried every single day since you were born...out of joy. I am just overwhelmed with gratitude and happiness that you are here, that you are safe, that you are ours, and that we are yours.
I treasure the time we spend together. You are so wee! But growing. You’ve already changed so much since we met you, and I know the time will only seem to pass faster and faster. We get such a short period of time with you at each stage that I don’t want to take a single day for granted, because the next day it’s like you’re a new baby. New tricks. New developments.
Speaking of tricks, you rolled over when you were 11 days old, you little booger! You are small, but you are strong. One morning I walked into the bedroom where your dad was playing with you, and he nformed me that he was helping you do squats. “He’s mostly doing negatives,” he explained. So, your strength training has already begun.
Another time I found him making popping sounds at you. “We’re working on our plosives,” he said. I love seeing the two of you together.
Several people have made the comment that they can’t wait to see who you become. I think about this, too, but I also love who you are now. You don’t have a favorite color or song or animal, but there is still so much to know about you. I’m beginning to discern the meanings of the cries and sounds you make, and I love that I am learning you and your little language.
And you are learning me. During your first week home, your Mimi was holding you while you were crying. We both thought you might be hungry, so she handed you to me. You immediately stopped crying. You weren’t hungry; you wanted your mom. I can’t tell you what a wonderful feeling it is to be the person who you want; the person who can comfort you and make you feel safe. I hope I can always be that for you in some way.
You have so many people in your life that love you. I have never seen your Mimi, Big Daddy, Nonna, or Pa look more happy than with you in their arms. You got to meet your Binky, who is devoted to you, and we’re looking forward to you meeting your Aunt Jess soon. We are all so happy when we’re around you, or even when we talk about you.
Some things I want to remember about you now...
You hate having your diaper changed, clothes changed, bath time, or anything else that requires you to be naked.
We have a sweet bedtime routine. After your bath, I feed you in the glider in the nursery. I sing your lullaby, and then we listen to music while you feed until you fall asleep. This is usually when I cry my daily happy tears.
About your lullaby: I started singing it to you in December. I read that babies who hear the same song a lot in utero will recognize it once they’re born. During your first week home, you were crying and nothing would calm you. I started singing your lullaby, and you stopped crying. It was a sweet moment.
The funny sounds you make, most notably your hoarse-sounding grunt, puppy whelp, and “ila-ila-ila” sound.
Your "Wyatt's World Tour" photo series.
Your "Wyatt's World Tour" photo series.
Your soft hair.
Your soft feet.
Love,
Mama






0 comments:
Post a Comment