Thanksgiven

|
For the last few years, we've attended some kind of orphan's Thanksgiving. Lots of people out here don't make it to see family for the holiday, so little groups of friends get together and make a family for a day. We've had good times at these, but after waiting to eat for hours with a bunch of mostly strangers last year, we decided that this year we'd have Thanksgiving at our place. For the first time ever.


It was just the two of us, and it was the nicest, stress free day. I planned a lot of food I wanted to make, had Z do the dirty work of doing the shopping, and had everything prepped and ready to go for Thursday morning. I made 8 dishes in all.


Sweet potatoes with pecans, thyme, and parmesan (the winner of the day)
Linda's mashed potatoes (a close, close second)
Sauteed celery root
Green beans with almonds
Bourbon cranberry compote
Quinoa tabouleh
Acorn muffins
Acorn squash with fresh orange juice and cardamom


Dessert was Trader Joe's pumpkin ice cream, followed by watching The Fantastic Mr. Fox on the floor by the bunnies.

It was a quiet day. We said our thanks. And I conquered my first Thanksgiving in the kitchen.


0 comments: